In Maryland is the defendant required to appear at a preliminary hearing on felony (drug) charges?

Baltimore, MD |

Person was granted bail but remains incarcerated pending result of hearing.

1. If summoned, you must appear. Bail is another issue. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

2. A defendant needs to appear at a Prelimonary Hearing. This is a constitutionally protected procedure at which a Defendant should appear and be represented by cousel. I assume that the person you are writing about was given a bail, but he/she is not able to post the bail bond. Depending on the results of the Preliminary Hearing the bond could change.

Please understand, without forming an attorney/client relationship this office is not providing legal advice. We are simply providing general information which should not be acted upon without careful consideration and the assistance of an experienced attorney.