In malpractice cases, does the defense operate by undermining and accusing the patient?

Miami, FL |

Do defense lawyers try to minimalize the injury of the plantiff? Do they try to make the plantiff look bad in anyway possible? I'm asking this because I have an elderly relative with some recent bad medical experiences with catastrophic outcomes but i'm worried about the antics of a trial trying to make her look bad and ruin her peace of mind, which would make foregoing a suit preferable to getting justice.

I would like to say no that is not true, but the facts are that defense attorneys get paid to defeat plaintiffs' cases. That is why you have to consult with an experienced attorney in your jurisdiction regarding your elderly relative who woul let you know the weaknesses and strenghts of your case. The reputation of your attorney and his knowledege and experience will stop the shenanigans of the defense. best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., aka El Abogado de Divocios de California: 510-206-4492. It is of a general context and is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. I am licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on divorce, family matters, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Bancarrotas, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Bancarrotas de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

Why would you possibly waste...never mind. Are you licensed in Florida, because this guy is sitting on a monster.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

All right, everyone settle down.... Simply continue writing: Manuel A. Juarez Manuel A. Juarez Manuel A. Juarez fifty more times, and you may take this guy to California with you and let him throw his grandmother out of her hospital bed there. Fair enough? Okay, have a good morning everyone.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

I'm kidding. Everyone relax. Thanks for being a good sport Mr. Juarez. You're alright.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

Seriously is that just my computer or is his name written over and over and over?

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

Oh, and by the way, nice job playing to your strengths....out of state medical malpractice actions. As a Berkeley California Family lawyer it feels like a fit to me.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

Sorry. I have monster insomnia, which sucks. I have hearings all day, on little to no REM sleep...which sucks. And I do not have any peyote like some of our friends...which sucks. Accordingly, in an effort to find something in this God forsaken world which doesn't suck.....both "antics" and "shenanigans"; not one or the other....BOTH......found their way into this historic exchange. THAT MY FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES DOES NOT SUCK AND MAY ACTUALLY GET ME THROUGH THIS DAY. LOL.

I could not possibly count the number of times when I have taken an hour or two of my time; jumped on to this site; and found myself rejuvenated with the practice of law simply by helping people who truly need help with substantial legal issues which have come upon them unexpectedly; for which they are ill-prepared; often find themselves in very unfortunate and leveraged positions where substantial rights and issues are in the balance such as child custody, loss of liberty in situations where individuals have found themselves wrongfully accused of crimes (and believe me, it happens every day; eyewitness testimony is the least reliable testimony of any which might be relied upon in criminal proceedings); and who, in many instances, might not otherwise have access to very high quality legal consultation and guidance. Furthermore, though many of the individuals with whom my colleagues and I regularly interface here on AVVO may not have gone beyond high school in terms of their academic achievements, some not even that far, their questions are, nonetheless, often incredibly perceptive and interesting to analyze.

Unfortunately, that is only part of the time. The other half is spent with probing questions like: listen, I was wondering "does the defense try to diminish the plaintiff's amount of recovery during a trial"; or, "while those defense lawyers are up to their crazy antics and shenanigans, does the judge simply sit there like a jackass and let older woman get pummeled by golf clubs?" Could the plaintiffs lawyer object, or do he or she and the judge play the silent game once the plaintiff has rested to pass the time.
I was just wondering because you know, I want to put my 90 year old grandmother through a stressful trial, but only if the judge draws the line at suffocating her with a plastic bag. I couldn't take that.

I bet you have just an incredibly empathetic personality. You seem like a real people person.

By the way, why isn't grandma asking about the recovey you are apparently seeking for "her".

Really perspicacious question. Well done.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation, or, if possible, will attempt to schedule a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

Yes, to both of your questions, but not all the time. Defense lawyers are reluctant to go after a very sympathetic plaintiff, such as a catastrophically injured elderly person. A lawsuit is not like a day at the beach, under the best of circumstances. But, you should not let fear of a stressful trial deter you from seeking justice. If it is a strong case, there may not be a trial at all. If the case is not strong, it is unlikely that a good lawyer will want to undertake it. Seek the advice of some medical malpractice lawyers in your area.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

If you have been injured because of a doctor's malpractice, you should not let these concerns prevent you from seeking justice. I would be happy to recommend some good attorneys in your area.

If you would like a free consultation about your issue, you may call me at 850-727-5964 or email me at cbu@uptonfirm.com. My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Your relative should speak directly with a medical malpractice attorney about the potential claim you are talking about. Each case is different and the facts of your relative's case should be assessed in their own right.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.