In Lehigh County, PA, how can I get the court to turn over custody after repeated contempt acts by mother of young son?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Allentown, PA

Joint legal custody, alternating weekends, I have many school holiday with son and month of July, etc... Mother has contempt order against her already from March 2012. She still moved again this time to NJ, despite court order, and without telling court or me. Not a good environment either. Many issues with mother's lack of responsibile parenting and hostility toward me. How can I get the court to REALLY act on this and not merely find her in contempt with very light "sanctions," this time. Sometimes lawyers play games and try to drag cases on for the money...I can't afford to keep going to court and my son needs a stable environment. Will the judge likely allow transfer of custody, especially across state line? What happened to "Act 112" and "Child's Best Interest???"

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . You can't change custody by filing a Petition for Contempt. You need to ask for a modification of the order. You will have the burden of proving that a change in custody is in the child's best interest, and repeated findings of contempt may help your case.

    My response to this question is intended for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal... more

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Family court and child custody cases

Family court can be the last resort for child custody disagreements when negotiation, mediation, or collaborative law fail to resolve custody disputes.

Samuel Jackson Siemon

Filing for Divorce, What to Expect

Filing for divorce can be a difficult and emotional decision but once you have decided that it must be done, what should you expect? What are the first steps? How long does it take? How... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,077 answers this week

3,743 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,077 answers this week

3,743 attorneys answering