In June my rent was late, received a court notice about june 25th, paid june and july rent on time. payment accepted,

Asked about 1 year ago - Lebanon, NJ

paid august rent, landlord returned requesting late fees, paid late fees, attorney advised me to send money back so my account could be cleared up, sent rent back, landlord requested additonal money, I received eviction notice. how can I be evicted if they have and accepted the rent.

1. Jason T Komninos

5

Answered . Even if you owed rent, you have until the end of court hours on the hearing date to pay if you want to stay. You indicated that you already paid your rent so bring proof to court on your court date. Ask the judge for a dismissal of the eviction complaint. If your rent is due again before the court date, make sure you pay that too.

2. Raymond Andrew Grimes

Pro

2

Answered . There are 2 types of complaints that a landlord can file. One is for money and the other is for eviction. If the complaint is just for rent, then you can pay it and the claim will be dismissed. If your rent is habitually late, then look at your lease. He may have the right to evict you for that or other reasons that are not mentioned. The eviction notice should state the reasons. You do not mention what it states.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

3

Answered . If you prove that you have paid all rent and late fees, then you should not be evicted. Attend any court hearings and present evidence of all of your payments.