In June my rent was late, received a court notice about june 25th, paid june and july rent on time. payment accepted,

Lebanon, NJ |

paid august rent, landlord returned requesting late fees, paid late fees, attorney advised me to send money back so my account could be cleared up, sent rent back, landlord requested additonal money, I received eviction notice. how can I be evicted if they have and accepted the rent.

1. If you prove that you have paid all rent and late fees, then you should not be evicted. Attend any court hearings and present evidence of all of your payments.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

2. Even if you owed rent, you have until the end of court hours on the hearing date to pay if you want to stay. You indicated that you already paid your rent so bring proof to court on your court date. Ask the judge for a dismissal of the eviction complaint. If your rent is due again before the court date, make sure you pay that too.

3. There are 2 types of complaints that a landlord can file. One is for money and the other is for eviction. If the complaint is just for rent, then you can pay it and the claim will be dismissed. If your rent is habitually late, then look at your lease. He may have the right to evict you for that or other reasons that are not mentioned. The eviction notice should state the reasons. You do not mention what it states.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

Landlord-tenant topics