Skip to main content

In January 2012, my ex-boyfriend sent me approximately 150 emails threatening to kill me. What is the statute of limitations?

Los Angeles, CA |

We both live in California.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Three years.



Thank you for answering my question directly.


Make a police report. Very likely the police will investigate it as a terrorist threat matter. You may also seek a restraining order in court.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.



Thank you for the advice.


Why have you waited so long? Take the e-mails and make a police report. Get a family law lawyer to file an OSC regarding restraining orders to keep him away from you and to get him to stop his e-mails to you. This is a serious matter. Take it seriously.

I am licensed to practice in the state of California. I handle cases from Sacramento to San Diego. I have handled cases in Federal District courts from Alaska and throughout the United States. My comments and opinions are based on California law and are based on the limited information provided in the question. Legal questions are usually fact specific and a few facts can and often does change the opinion I would give. It is better to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction (your geographic area) and provide specific details regarding your case in private. You would get more specific advice. The contents of the conversations with your attorney are confidential and are protected from being revealed. The statements made in this public forum (AVVO) are not confidential and could be revealed. Therefore, you must be very careful in the details you provide. Do not disclose information that could be a crime or that could be used in order to prove a crime was committed. If you are in California and want to clarify any of my answers, feel free to contact me.



Thank you for the valuable advice.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer