In Indiana is the Landlord responsible for the cost to eleminate bed bugs from the house after the tenant has live 1+years?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Indianapolis, IN

Tenant has lived in home over a Year and now has bed bugs. Is the landlord responsible to foot the bill for the extermination? Or is it the cost of the Tenant?

1. Jeffrey Charles Rocker

Answered . Unlikely. The landlord has the duty to provide a habitable unit but not to maintain it that way during your time there. That duty is typically the tenants. The "but" here is that if this is a multi unit facility and something the landlord is doing (or not doing) as a whole is facilitating the infestation. Look for the "maintenance" clause in your lease. It likely says you will maintain the premises.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Footing the bill likely turns on whether the LL can establish that the tenant introduced the BBs to the property.

As always, the first place to reference a lease--is the lease agreement to see if it has a provision that applies that does not offend state law.

In most states, the LL is responsible to exterminate pests, the tenant is responsible to report them--in writing. If the LL can then show that the tenant is the one who bought the pest into the property, the LL can then attempt to recover costs.

I recall that Indiana ( I am NOT an Indiana attorney) is one of those states that does not clearly place responsibility on one party or the other. A tenant who can argue that the LL has failed to maintain a warranty of habitability, or violated a local housing or safety code MIGHT stand a shot at recovering costs in Indiana.