Skip to main content

In Indiana, how to request for a subpoena? Need a lawyer or I can request myself? How much is it for court filling fee?

Indianapolis, IN |

Is there any other fees to request for a subpoena? I need to get a subpoena to request for my BMV file that they have to accuse me on something that I didn't do. If you are a lawyer and think that you can help me. Please contact me with your info and lowest flat fee quote. Thanks.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Subpoenas are documents issued by the court (usually the clerk) requiring someone to appear at a certain time and place, or produce documents in lieu of their appearance. The power to subpoena is limited to parties to litigation. Therefore, you cannot merely request a subpoena to be issued because you want documents. You must file a lawsuit in order to acquire subpoena power. Before you file anything though, you should consult with an attorney.

    Depending on the information sought, you could make a request directly to the source (e.g. "may I please have copies of _____"), or, depending on the nature of the entity (e.g. governmental or private), and the nature of the information sought, you may be able to get the documents you seek through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

  2. If there is a court case, the clerk of the court will issue a subpoena for you for free, although, you will need toserve the document the correct way. If there is no case, you can have a freedom of information act request issued.

    Hope that helps.

    Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. (219) 836 2200