In Illinois is there a required length of a marriage before an adoption is possible?

Asked over 1 year ago - Edwardsville, IL

My fiance would like to adopt my daughter due to the absence of her father. Once were married is there a legal length of time before he can adopt her or can we handle it the next week?

1. Gary L. Schlesinger

9

Answered . no. you can file the adoption at any time.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

8

Answered . There is no time restriction. You can file for adoption immediately. Make sure you are represented by an experienced adoption.

3. James Gregory Las Cola

8

Answered . Hi, I agree Counselors Schlesinger and Goldstein. In Illinois, you do not need to wait any particular amount of time after the marriage to file your adoption matter. However, it is not unlikely you will "handle it the next week." Adoption is more of a process than a procedure. Do seek out and seek an experienced adoption attorney who regularly practices in the county of the child's residence and retain him/her to assist your new family with the process. I have found some of the finest attorneys in the country are available by using the search function here on Avvo.com.

4. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

6

Answered . I changed the practice area as this was not an immigration question, but rather a question for a family law attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois.

5. Amy Spector

2

Answered . There is no waiting period to file for adoption, but there are legal standards that have to apply to your case. If you are interested in speaking with an attorney that handles adoption cases in your area, contact my firm, Hicks & Spector, L.L.C. We are located in Belleville, but regularly represent clients in Madison County and other surrounding counties. We offer a free one-hour consultation and can be reached by phone at (618) 551-0300.