In Illinois is there a required length of a marriage before an adoption is possible?

Edwardsville, IL |

My fiance would like to adopt my daughter due to the absence of her father. Once were married is there a legal length of time before he can adopt her or can we handle it the next week?

I changed the practice area as this was not an immigration question, but rather a question for a family law attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654, wendy@myatorneyusa.com, www.myattorneyusa.com. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

no. you can file the adoption at any time.

There is no time restriction. You can file for adoption immediately. Make sure you are represented by an experienced adoption.

Hi, I agree Counselors Schlesinger and Goldstein. In Illinois, you do not need to wait any particular amount of time after the marriage to file your adoption matter. However, it is not unlikely you will "handle it the next week." Adoption is more of a process than a procedure. Do seek out and seek an experienced adoption attorney who regularly practices in the county of the child's residence and retain him/her to assist your new family with the process. I have found some of the finest attorneys in the country are available by using the search function here on Avvo.com.

Of course, as always this answer is general in nature, applies only to Illinois law, assumes certain facts omitted from the question and does not take into account any facts specific to any person’s particular circumstances. No attorney/client relation is created hereunder and I highly recommend you seek first the counsel and advice of an experienced contested civil litigator prior to taking any actions relating to this matter, as seemingly insignificant actions may have unintended consequences.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Attorney Cola is one of the finest adoption attorneys!

James Gregory Las Cola

James Gregory Las Cola

Sorry for the inadvertent double negative; it is highly unlikely anyone could handle an adoption in a week in Illinois. Thank you Counselor Raddatz, such high praise from a well-known and highly decorated attorney with the depth and breadth of experience as you is both humbling and encouraging.

There is no waiting period to file for adoption, but there are legal standards that have to apply to your case. If you are interested in speaking with an attorney that handles adoption cases in your area, contact my firm, Hicks & Spector, L.L.C. We are located in Belleville, but regularly represent clients in Madison County and other surrounding counties. We offer a free one-hour consultation and can be reached by phone at (618) 551-0300.

Content contained on this site is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. You should consult an attorney to discuss your particular case and to obtain legal advice.