In Illinois, Is a defered 401k conversion to a Roth 401k included in taxable income when determining child support payments?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Skokie, IL

This convesion is taxable for federal and state purposes, but would I also have to pay 40% ( I have 4 kids) to my ex-wife?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Wes Cowell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Okay, so you had a 401(k) and converted it into a Roth and, when you did so, you paid tax on the amount converted, right? At that point, as long as the money stays in the Roth, you shouldn't have to pay a portion of it for child support. If, however, you take any money out of the Roth, THEN you MAY have to pay support on such withdrawals.

    Certainly the portion of the IRA withdrawal that is from interest or capital gains IS income and you must pay support on THAT. The circuits differs, however, on whether you have to pay on the withdrawal of the principal.

  2. J. Richard Kulerski

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Probably not. You are not taking a distribution from the plan, as such. You are merely transferring funds.

  3. Jenette M. Schwemler

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As long as you do not take a distribution out of your 401(k), it should not be considered income for purposes of child support.

    Nothing in this post creates an attorney-client relationship. This post is not meant to serve as legal advice.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,996 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,996 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering