Skip to main content

In Georgia probate specifically how long does the court allow for executors to wrap up a simple estate under 500,000?

Atlanta, GA |

After a year and a couple of checks written the two executors have not tried to list real estate, a condo, on open market. They and the other heir want to keep it. We do not. We made this clear early on. One exec. was swayed to change her mind now three want it, cheap of course and want us to pay fees to sell our part. There are no outstanding debts only the ongoing expense of the condo. We feel we have paid for a condo that they and family friends have admittedly been using. It was refused to us when we wanted to visit the decedent last year. They have benefited from its use and have made us pay for it. They threaten to put it on the market if we don't roll over. We sent demand for inv. & accounting but were basically given nothing. What is reasonable to the court to hold this open?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is no hard time limit. Probates take a minimum of 4 months, and 4 months is extremely rare. For most estates 6 to 9 months is common if everything goes smoothly, there are no challenges, and if things like appraisals are not delayed.

For a $500,000 estate, there could be other delays. However, an executor cannot use the property of the decedent for his/her own use. Thus, permitting unwarranted use of the condo is not necessarily legal. The executor might allow family members to use the condo as they have done in the past, but must deal with the estate in a timely manner, and - again - must use the property only for the benefit of the decedent's estate.

Careful not to cause this to explode into a fued - unless you don't care. An attorney can help you with this situation, as attorneys sometimes garner a bit more authority and won't be bullied (if they are good). If the size of your potential inheritance is worth a few thousand dollars - I highly advise this route.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC



They have used it for their grown children, and their childrens' friends and have cost the estate by not selling it while disallowing one beneficiary use of it.

Matthew Erik Johnson

Matthew Erik Johnson


Then its probably time to get an attorney involved. See if a carefully constructed demand letter from an attorney can get things moving.


A probate where real estate has to be marketed will almost never be done in less than 6 months, and because of the horrible condo market it could take far longer. If you feel the estate is being handled improperly, you get a lawyer (and it sounds like you arer long overdue to have done that).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


I agree with Attorney Ashman. You are LONG overdue retaining your own lawyer. You are in over you head on this and need help dealing with this, while there is still something left.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer