In Georgia, what are the tenant/landlord laws for bed bug pest control? Who pays under GA state law?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cartersville, GA

I understand it may or may not be in the lease, but if it is not stated in the lease, what is the law in GEORGIA reguarding this situation? The apartment office is trying to force us to pay $500+, which we do not have, but in other states, it is required that THEY pay to make the building liveable.

This office has constantly tried to cheat us in our 2 years of living here. So, I trust that they are not being honest with us.

1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

Answered . If the issue of pest control is not addressed in the lease, then there is no hard-and-fast rule about who has liability. Generally, the landlord is responsible for structural repairs and the tenant is responsible for any damages that they cause. I would suspect that the issue would become something for the judge to decide, but may be controlled over other factors (how long the tenant lived there before the bed bugs arrived, whether there was a bedbug problem in an adjoining apartment, etc.)

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . If it is not in the lease, pest control may not be required of the landlord UNLESS local housing or health codes require.

If the pest problem in the apartment is severe (and most BB infestations are) the landlord may be required to address the problem because the property's condition violates local health ordinances--that is your point of entry to getting the LL to act, and to pay. Recommend you immediately contact your county housing code enforcement and report the matter.

LL has the responsibility to treat for infestations, treat the whole building. LL must pay for that treatment and cannot be unreasonable in delaying treatment. IF LL can prove who introduced the BBs to the property, LL MAY go after that party for the costs--but it is VERY hard to prove who did what in a multiunit dwelling. If it were me, I would refuse to pay, demand the LL treat the infestation, and force the LL to prove it was me--they likely cannot. See http://www.dca.state.ga.us/housing/housingdevel... and http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/lan...

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now