In Georgia, can a passenger who is drunk and riding in a vehicle with a driver who is drunk be charged with anything?

Dalton, GA |

The passenger and driver were seriously injured. Another vehicle was clipped, but no one injured.

If that person is over 21 and was not operating the vehicle, then no.

If the passenger owned the car, the State COULD try to come up with some sort of charge for allowing an intoxicated person to drive, but the chances of that happening are very very small.

If the passenger was the owner and knew the driver was drunk he would face a civil charge of negligent entrustment but probably nothing criminal.

Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at Fareesh@SarangiLaw.com or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship.