Skip to main content

In from Canada , my finance is American . I will move to Ohio . Should we use an American or Canadian immigration lawyer ?

Columbus, OH |

I will move to the States from Canada once married and approved to do so.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Since this involves US immigration law, you need a lawyer who practices US immigration law.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. Sounds like you will need a US immigration lawyer to help you obtain a visa/ green card.

    For more info on the process see link below and contact us or another lawyer if you have questions

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  3. Contact an American AILA immigration attorney who can advise you regarding the proper procedures - there are several options , you will be advised about the K-visa among other matters .
    AILA's Immigration Lawyer Search

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent immigration attorney preferably one who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

  4. Practically speaking, I think that you should use a US attorney. I am a US attorney that practiced in Canada for awhile and that can be a problem as USCIS will often refuse to mail items to Canada. When you do get them to do so, they use regular mail so something that could be received in a few days in the US could take 2 to 4 weeks to arrive in Canada. This is an inconvenience in terms of requests for evidence and other matters that could delay the adjudication of the application.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

  5. A US immigration lawyer is the most appropriate. After marriage and because of processing delays and the actual procedure, it will take about 6-9 months before you can enter with lawful permanent resident status. Plan accordingly.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics