In form I-765, what number of eligibility should be used when a US citizen is requesting his undocumented spouse?

Asked about 1 year ago - Alpharetta, GA

My wife is undocumented and we have begun the paperwork to provide her with papers. I am now filling out form I-765 and the category for this situation is not clear. She entered legally as a visitor, and then she gained a student visa, but lost it (due to financial troubles). What should I put in field 16 of the form?

1. Laura L Lichter

5

Answered . Given that your wife does not have a legal status, I would strongly recommend that you talk to an immigration lawyer to see if it is even prudent to apply. A good attorney should be able to talk with you about the process and whether you need help or not.

If she is legally eligible to apply for adjustment, the work permit is based on having that application pending. It does not reference her prior or current (lack of) status. In most cases, the appropriate box is (C)(c)(9).

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

3

Answered . Generally you should put c (9) since she is filing her green card pursuant to her marriage to a US citizen. It is best to consult an attorney before filling all the paperwork to avoid delays.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . An I-765 can only be filed if an adjustment of status application is being filed with it or is pending.