In Florida law, can a non-licensed individual ( in the practice of law ) be a partner in a law firm?

Winter Park, FL |

I am not currently, nor do I plan ever to be, licensed in the practice of law in the State of Florida. However, I wish to open up a law firm with a licensed attorney and be a partner in the law practice...is this allowable in Florida Law?

No, in order to be a partner in a law firm you must be a member of the Florida Bar.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

There are ethical requirements on the licensed attorney that prevents him/her from owning a law firm with a non-lawyer and sharing legal fees with a non-lawyer. That does not prevent the two of you from owning a consulting firm, which is technically not a law firm. The licensed attorney just has to follow the ethical rules of making it clear that (s)he is not acting as an attorney for clients.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law