In Florida can I file my own motions (pro se) in family court? I do not want DOR to represent me.

Asked 9 months ago - Stuart, FL

I am the custodial parent. My daughters father lives up north but the case is handled here in Florida. He is already court ordered to pay support through DOR however, I would like to take him back to court (for several different reasons), represent myself, and I do not want DOR involved. If this is something that I can legally do then how do I go about it?

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

5

Answered . I guess the first thing to do is tell DOR that you no longer want the representation that they provide. The might just submit a notice that they are not representing you on the supplemental petition for modification that you will be submitting.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  2. Sandra Kia Ambrose

5

Answered . My colleagues provide great answers, but (isn't there always a but), if you receive any kind of assistance from the State or Federal government (ie, food stamps, Medicaid, cash assistance), the DOR has an interest in the case and is required to proceed.

If you don't get any benefits, you can just do what the other attorneys have stated and then you should be able to proceed on your own.

Good luck,
    Sandra K. Ambrose

3. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

3

Answered . You can be your own attorney. You'll need to let DOR know that you no longer want representation.

4. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

3

Answered . You need to cancel the contract with the DOR, then you are free to proceed pro se. Best of luck.

5. Nicole Moore

3

Answered . You can always represent yourself pro-se in a family/paternity case. If there is only a child support issue filed and you want to file a family/paternity petition with the court then you can transfer the matter to the family court division and represent yourself pro-se. The family court has self-help forms online that you can print out and fill out. If it is just for child support and you are receiving state assistance then the DOR has an interest in the case and may continue to represent you. However, if you are going to modify the child-support obligation (because there is a change in circumstances) then file a petition for modification of child support and tell the DOR that you wish to represent yourself.