In Florida, what is a 57.105

Pompano Beach, FL |
Filed under: Family law

In the state of florida, what exactly is a 57.105, when is it used, how do you go about utilizing it?

1. It is a motion for sanctions under Florida statute 57.105. There specific procedural steps for this motion outlined in the statute.

2. It's a method of invoking the "loser pays" rule in Florida. It can also be used in some types of family law actions (I saw you posted under family law), though it isn't common since there are other ways of invoking "loser pays" in family law cases. A "57.105" claim asserts that all or part of a lawsuit has no legal and/or factual basis and demands that the lawsuit or claim be dropped within 21 days after receipt of the notice or the loser and, in certain circumstances, the loser's law firm, must pay the attorneys' fees and costs of the winning side.

The statute has some very technical requirement, and a 57.105 claim should only be filed by a lawyer or with careful consultation with a lawyer. One side may not claim attorneys' fees and costs against the losing side if that side does not actually have an attorney.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

3. It is a motion for sanctions, should be used wisely, and there are procedural steps to utilizing it that must be followed and are outlined in the statute itself. You should really contact an attorney if you are thinking of just filing one of these.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.