In Florida, is it legal for an employer to require an employee to work 7 or 8 days without a day off?

Tampa, FL |

I've been told that even though I've worked 7 days straight (10 to 15 hours each day) my request for a day off was denied. Is this legal?

1. If you are a salaried employee in a managerial or executive position, then it is perfectly legal for your employer to have you work like that.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

2. In the stare of Florida there is no mandate for days off. If you are hourly you would be entitled to overtime compensation.

3. The Fair Labor Standards Act governs issues regarding work breaks and pay. Go to www.dol.gov and look under the Act where you can find more information.

Bonnie Riggens
    Law Office of Bonita M. Riggens
    669 1st Ave. N.
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    Phone: 727-898-1401
    Fax: 727-823-7351

Employment law representation: Contracts (Noncompete Agreements, Severance Negotiations), Defamation, Discrimination (Age, Disability, Gender, Pregnancy, National Origin, Race, Religion), Family and Medical Leave Act, Overtime Law. Privacy Law, Retaliation and Whistleblower Law, Sex Harassment, Unemployment Compensation, Unpaid Wages, USERRA

Civil rights topics