Skip to main content

In florida, if i get assistance, does the father of my child have to get on child support if he is already helping me?

Winter Haven, FL |

i need the gov assistance, but i dont want him to go on child support. He does not need to be in the system. Can i just tell the courts that we have an agreement and avoid it all?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Once you get on public assistance the Department of Revenue will get involved and the father of the baby will be placed on child support.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


You don't have that choice. If you seek government assistance, the government seeks child support. The idea is that (and I agree that this isn't necessarily true), if he were paying his support properly, we taxpayers wouldn't have to be paying for your health care, food stamps, etc. You are not allowed to tell the courts that you have an agreement and relieve him of paying support.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!


Probably not. Most courts aren't likely to agree that the government should assist you, but the father, assuming he is able, should not.

If they have not yet, you can expect that the court system will eventually catch up with the father and take steps to have him pay child support.

Good luck.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer