In Florida, can you change the last name of a minor b/c the father was deported and does not pay any child support?

Asked about 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

My friend gave birth in Florida 7 years ago; the father appears on the child's birth certificate because although they were not married, the did live together. The child of course has his father's last name. The father was later deported, never see again and has never pay for any financial support for the child and has never made any efforts to contact him. Because of those reasons, she want to change her son's last name to hers through the courts. Is this allowed in Florida? To change a child's name based on the fact that the father doesn't pay child support and has no contact with the child? Please advise, thank you.

1. Daniel A. Bachert

Answered . The name change would have to be shown to be in the best interest of the child. I could see were an argument could be made that based upon the facts you have cited a name change would be in order here.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
    The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
    330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
    West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
    (561) 653-3951
    Palm-Beach-Divorces.com