In Florida, can you change the last name of a minor b/c the father was deported and does not pay any child support?

West Palm Beach, FL |

My friend gave birth in Florida 7 years ago; the father appears on the child's birth certificate because although they were not married, the did live together. The child of course has his father's last name. The father was later deported, never see again and has never pay for any financial support for the child and has never made any efforts to contact him. Because of those reasons, she want to change her son's last name to hers through the courts. Is this allowed in Florida? To change a child's name based on the fact that the father doesn't pay child support and has no contact with the child? Please advise, thank you.

The name change would have to be shown to be in the best interest of the child. I could see were an argument could be made that based upon the facts you have cited a name change would be in order here.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951
Palm-Beach-Divorces.com

Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you.

Birth certificate topics