In Florida, can the executor of a will be also a beneficiary in the same will?

West Palm Beach, FL |

Yes

Yes. Simple question, simple answer.

This response is to an unknown person and is for general information purposes only. Under the terms of AVVO policies, an attorney/client relationship is not formed by the answering of questions posted on a public portal. The attorney answering these questions may or may not have an attorney-client relationship with the opposing party. Other conflicts may exist with the person asking the question. A conflict check must be performed in order for the attorney to determine ifa conflict exists under the Rules Regulating the Florida Bar should the questioner desire to use the attorney's services.

Yes, of course.
It is quite normal to name a family member in both capacities.

As long as they are qualified as a PR they there is nothing that would prohibit a beneficiary from being named the executor or PR simply because they are a beneficiary.

My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed as an attorney in the state where the law applies.

In Florida, the executor is referred to as the Personal Representative, in case you were confused by some of the answers you received. We wish all questions were this easy to address. Thank you for posting!

I may be further reached by email (polani@bellsouth.net) or through my website (www.bocadelrayattorneyatlaw.com). Please note, however, that the hiring of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements or the like. Before you decide which attorney to retain, please ask for free written information about their (or my own) qualifications and experience. Also, providing an answer to your question does not constitute in any manner whatsoever a client-attorney relationship or privilege between us.

Wills and estates topics