In Florida, are you allowed to use your security deposit for your last month of rent?

Cape Coral, FL |

I want to use my security deposit for last mth of rent. Can i do that

No, not in any state I am aware of ( I am not a FL attorney). That would be undercutting the purpose of a SD.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Unless the lease states that you may use the SD as your last month's rent, you may not do so.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Not as a matter of right. Your rental agreement would have to specifically allow it.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

That would defeat the purpose behind the 'security' part of the security deposit. It is unlikely, though possible, that your lease would specify otherwise.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on Pennsylvania and/or Texas law as I am licensed in Pennsylvania and Texas. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant