In filing bankruptcy, will it stop the electric company from suspending service?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

Just like everything else I have behind , my electric services most likely will be interrupted soon for non payment . I have heard how the bankruptcy filing suspends foreclosure proceedings , garnishments , eviction , etc . . so I am curious will also assist and protect the individual from this sort of creditor too ?

1. Jaitegh Singh

1

1

Answered . Yes there is a specific provision in the bankruptcy code that would force the utility company to turn the power back on (or i guess stop them from shutting it off). However, the utility company does have the right to ask for a separate deposit before turning it back on. It should also be noted that this will only solve the issue for any back debt owed to the utility company. You will still be responsible for post petition (after the filing of the bankruptcy) utility costs, which if not paid, will put you back in the same position.

2. Timothy S. Kingcade

Pro

Answered . Bankruptcy can eliminate overdue utility bills. The utility provider can require a deposit after you file bankruptcy. There are a few legal requirements. You can come in for a free office consultation and we can help you. www.MiamiBankruptcy.com.