In federal court the judge has not yet ruled yet on the Motion to Dismiss but the defendant filed a Summary judgment.

New York, NY |

What happens? can the Judge rule on the Motion to Dismiss or does she have to rule on the Summary Judgment? If does she have to respond to both of them? The defendant counsel knew that that the plaintiff stated his case. Does this piss off the judge? Also can the defendant withdraw his Summary Judgment and refile it? I am pro-se plaintiff

1. The judge will probably address all the pending motions at once.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. A motion to dismiss seeks to throw out a complaint for failure to properly set forth the facts which make each claim of a claim and/or to properly allege the elements of particular cause of action. A summary judgment motion alleges that there are no issues of material fact in the case to be tried so defendant (or plaintiff) is entitled to judgment as a matter of law. A motion to dismiss is typically made by a defendant at the start of the case. A motion for summary judgment is usually made after discovery unless the claim is for an amount certain under a contract.

A motion to dismiss based on documents beyond the pleadings becomes a summary judgment motion. Under FRCP 56, if you are at the start of your case and need discovery to defend against the summary judgment motion, you need to allege this and the court will put off a decision on the motion until discovery is conducted. Beyond this, a party typically needs the court's permission before making a motion; what do the Judge's individual rules say about this?

What you mean "defendant counsel knew that plaintiff stated his case?" Pro se's typically think that they have made out a case when they have not. Indeed, the judge may end up agreeing with defendant.