In family court, r u provided a pro bono attorney if u can not afford one on your own?Is this true or not?

Charleston, SC |

.If u file a petition pro se r u expected to finish your case on your own without any attorney?

not in California with one eception those charge with contempt can have a public defender

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Check with legal aid to see if they might be able to assist you. Another option might be to check with the state bar for pro bono referrals or if they might be able to point you to some other resources.

This is not legal advice. This response is provided for general information only, as a public service. It is not to be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship; nor is it an attempt to create an attorney/client relationship. Consult with local counsel in your jurisdiction about the specifics of your case, which is the only way to gain true meaningful legal guidance and/or representation.

You are not guaranteed a right to a court appointed attorney in child custody cases. You may be entitled to a court appointed attorney for child support cases if you are faced with the possibility of contempt which may result in a possible jail sentence. If you initiated the Petition, you can certainly complete it without the assistance of an attorney. However, you will be held to the same standards as a practicing attorney. As one attorney mentioned, contact legal aid or a bar referral service. I also recommend that you consult with an attorney who offers free or low consultations fees.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek a full consultation with a licensed attorney before relying on any advice offered through this website

In very limited scenarios such as if your parental rights are subject to termination. However, in standard divorce and/or custody cases, the answer is no. There are some alternatives, however. Some public service organizations will screen your income, and if you meet certain criteria, they may take your case for free. Also, the family court has the authority to award attorney's fees, and in some scenarios, the court can order your spouse to pay your attorney's fees.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Pro bono representation topics

Recommended articles about Pro bono representation