In family court, r u provided a pro bono attorney if u can not afford one on your own?Is this true or not?

Asked 10 months ago - Charleston, SC

.If u file a petition pro se r u expected to finish your case on your own without any attorney?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Thomas C. Nelson

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . In very limited scenarios such as if your parental rights are subject to termination. However, in standard divorce and/or custody cases, the answer is no. There are some alternatives, however. Some public service organizations will screen your income, and if you meet certain criteria, they may take your case for free. Also, the family court has the authority to award attorney's fees, and in some scenarios, the court can order your spouse to pay your attorney's fees.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Katrina Louise Smith


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are not guaranteed a right to a court appointed attorney in child custody cases. You may be entitled to a court appointed attorney for child support cases if you are faced with the possibility of contempt which may result in a possible jail sentence. If you initiated the Petition, you can certainly complete it without the assistance of an attorney. However, you will be held to the same standards as a practicing attorney. As one attorney mentioned, contact legal aid or a bar referral service. I also recommend that you consult with an attorney who offers free or low consultations fees.

    Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek a full consultation with... more
  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . not in California with one eception those charge with contempt can have a public defender

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more
  4. Edward Brandon Beckham

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Check with legal aid to see if they might be able to assist you. Another option might be to check with the state bar for pro bono referrals or if they might be able to point you to some other resources.

    This is not legal advice. This response is provided for general information only, as a public service. It is not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,033 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,033 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering