In family court, r u provided a pro bono attorney if u can not afford one on your own?Is this true or not?

Asked 10 months ago - Charleston, SC

.If u file a petition pro se r u expected to finish your case on your own without any attorney?

1. Thomas C. Nelson

3

1

Answered . In very limited scenarios such as if your parental rights are subject to termination. However, in standard divorce and/or custody cases, the answer is no. There are some alternatives, however. Some public service organizations will screen your income, and if you meet certain criteria, they may take your case for free. Also, the family court has the authority to award attorney's fees, and in some scenarios, the court can order your spouse to pay your attorney's fees.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Katrina Louise Smith

Pro

2

Answered . You are not guaranteed a right to a court appointed attorney in child custody cases. You may be entitled to a court appointed attorney for child support cases if you are faced with the possibility of contempt which may result in a possible jail sentence. If you initiated the Petition, you can certainly complete it without the assistance of an attorney. However, you will be held to the same standards as a practicing attorney. As one attorney mentioned, contact legal aid or a bar referral service. I also recommend that you consult with an attorney who offers free or low consultations fees.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . not in California with one eception those charge with contempt can have a public defender

4. Edward Brandon Beckham

Answered . Check with legal aid to see if they might be able to assist you. Another option might be to check with the state bar for pro bono referrals or if they might be able to point you to some other resources.