Skip to main content

In Dublin Ohio. What is the consequence for a 12 yr old with theft and property damage

Columbus, OH |

I received a call from my sons school they said he stole a child's iPod and they said he broke the schools pencil sharpener .The boy received his iPod back but they said they may press charges can some one please tell me what's going to happen.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should hire a defense attorney who can assist your son. The law recently changed and a child is presumed incompetent until 14 years of age. However, this is a rebuttable presumption meaning the state could show he understands the legal proceedings. Dublin may have a diversion program where he can take a stop shoplifting class and do community service and he would never be convicted. The charge does carry a potential for being placed in juvenile detention. A good attorney will be able to explain everything and teach your son how to proceed. Good luck.
Ohio Criminal Defense Lawyer

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner


Although he is very young, It is possible that your son will be charged with Theft and Criminal Damaging delinquency in the Franklin County Juvenile Court. These are misdemeanor charges. You may want to speak to an attorney who handles juvenile criminal defense cases in Franklin County to assist you with these matters.

Douglas Riddell
Attorney at Law
Criminal and Traffic Defense
(614) 361-2804

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer