In Dublin Ohio. What is the consequence for a 12 yr old with theft and property damage

Asked almost 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

I received a call from my sons school they said he stole a child's iPod and they said he broke the schools pencil sharpener .The boy received his iPod back but they said they may press charges can some one please tell me what's going to happen.

1. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

Answered . You should hire a defense attorney who can assist your son. The law recently changed and a child is presumed incompetent until 14 years of age. However, this is a rebuttable presumption meaning the state could show he understands the legal proceedings. Dublin may have a diversion program where he can take a stop shoplifting class and do community service and he would never be convicted. The charge does carry a potential for being placed in juvenile detention. A good attorney will be able to explain everything and teach your son how to proceed. Good luck.

www.becklawofficellc.com
    Ohio Criminal Defense Lawyer

2. Douglas Edward Riddell Jr.

Pro

Answered . Although he is very young, It is possible that your son will be charged with Theft and Criminal Damaging delinquency in the Franklin County Juvenile Court. These are misdemeanor charges. You may want to speak to an attorney who handles juvenile criminal defense cases in Franklin County to assist you with these matters.

Douglas Riddell
    Attorney at Law
    Criminal and Traffic Defense
    (614) 361-2804
    doug@riddelllaw.com
    www.riddelllaw.com