In demanding for sanction when filing a motion to compel further responses, can I demand for other expenses such as printing

San Jose, CA |

and mailing expenses, in addition to the filing fee of $60? Is $60 all I can recover should my motion be granted?

1. Yes, the filing fee of $60 plus some incidental expenses such as copying and postage. But that is pretty much it if you are representing yourself in pro per.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

2. Copying and postage sound reasonable to me. Make sure you include in your declaration, how much you incurred in such costs, and possibly attach receipt as an exhibit to the declaration. Make sure the notice of motion has in it that you are seeking sanctions/costs of $____, and if you are seeking them against opposing counsel or the other party. I usually seek them against both.