Skip to main content

In decree ex- husband is to carry life ins. with me as beneficiary? What can I do to be able to continually monitor payments?

Aurora, CO |
Filed under: Divorce decree

His lawyer told him he had to continue paying the premiums but he will not sign any papers allowing me access to the information.

Attorney Answers 3


You can file a motion with the court that he be required to advise the insurance company that you are authorized to obtain information regarding the payment status of the policy. Or, if there is a reason to believe that he will not remit payments to keep the policy in place, then you can ask the court that he be required to continue to provide you with proof of payments.

Tami L. Augen Rhodes

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor is it intended as legal advice. I have not reviewed your case nor have I met with you and the answer to this question does not in any manner whatsoever establish an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


What does your settlement agreement say? What does the decree say? Where is your lawyer on this?

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Just like the exchange of tax returns on a yearly basis, there should be something in the decree and separation agreement that required your ex to show you proof of the company and the amount of life insurance and that it is current. If that was not put into the separation agreement and decree, file a motion with the court to modify the decree and separation agreement. Your attorney should have taken care of that for you.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics