In debt due to high credit card interest rates. What are my options in securing a probono atty for help in reducing our debts?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Live on SS only, lost my job and unable to find employment.

1. William C. Devine II

2

Answered . Go to the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada (www.lacsn.org) and they'll walk you through the process for applying for a pro-bono attorney.

Regards,
    William Devine, II

2. Thomas D. Boley

2

Answered . It is very hard to garnish social security, and much of it is exempt. You might not even need to file bankruptcy. You will need a consult with an attorney before you determine that, though.

3. Keren E. Gesund

Pro

Answered . There are certain credit repair organizations that will help you save up enough money to offer each creditor a one time lump sum settlement (usually a fraction of the amount owed) to resolve some of your debts. Make sure you go to a credit repair organization that is non-profit. They should not charge you any fees up front (doing so violates a federal statute).

In the alternative, you can try to negotiate directly with your creditors yourself. Sometimes if you call, explain that you cannot afford the payments, and give them an amount you feel you can comfortably pay, they will agree to accept that lower amount.

If debt collectors are calling, you should contact an FDCPA attorney. If s/he can identify an FDCPA violation, s/he might be able to get you up to $1,000 and leverage down some of your debts.

If you have any questions or need further information, you can check out the Federal Trade Commission's website for dealing with debt at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/topics/dealing-debt or contact me at gesundk@gesundlawoffices.com.

Good Luck!

Keren