In CT, what is the statute of limitations for breach of contract? Does it start on the date of the breach or when damages end?

Hoboken, NJ |

My former business partner committed an act in breach of the contract that dissolved our jointly held business. As a direct result, I have incurred hundreds of thousands of dollars of damages. The breach occurred 17 years ago, but the damages are still accruing. Can I still sue him?

1. No. The right to sue has almost certainly been gone for more than a decade.

The Connecticut rule appears to be that an action for breach of contract has to be brought within six years of the date the cause of action accrues. Have a look at Chapter 926, section 52-576. Under general principles of law, a cause of action for breach of contract accrues on the date the contract was breached.

So, assuming a six-year limitations period applies, and unless there's some reason that the clock doesn't start ticking on that date (such reasons are uncommon, and usually relate to things like minority, insanity or other legal incapacity), the limitations period for bringing a breach-of-contract lawsuit based upon a breach occurring seventeen years ago expired eleven years ago, in 2000.

That's just applying a general principle of law in light of an apparent six-year limitations period, and shouldn't be taken as legal advice. I don't know all the relevant facts; it's just my two cents. I am not licensed to practice law in Connecticut and do not practice there. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who holds Connecticut licensure. That's not me.

Business topics