In court Monday, how should I plead?

Asked 4 months ago - Louisville, KY

About a year ago I purchased a car. Due to a layoff I didnt have the funds to transfer and register it into my name. I was pulled over 5/30/14 and when the officer ran the plate the small decal came up from another vehicle. The officer insisted I had stolen it and I was arrested. It took every penny to register insure and get my car out of the in pound lot, so I cant afford a lawyer. Please help, Im scared to death and dont know what I should do

1. Ashley Witte Dawson

5

Answered . If you cannot afford an attorney request that a public defender be appointed. The public defender will most likely enter a "not guilty" plea on your behalf at the initial arraignment. At arraignment, you should receive another court date. You are entitled to all discovery the Commonwealth has against you and I suggest you discuss this information including all details surrounding your case with your attorney. You are innocent until proven guilty and the Commonwealth must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Stay in contact with your public defender and do not miss any court dates. I wish you the best of luck.

2. Anna M. Aleksander

Pro

4

Answered . At arraignment you should ask for the Judge to appoint you a Public Defender. Nothing will happen on the first Court date. If you qualify, then you will meet with your Public Defender before your next Court appearance.

3. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . Go to court, plead NOT GUILTY and ask the court to appoint you a Public Defender if you are eligible. Hire and attorney or get one appointed, do not go this alone without legal counsel.

4. Jonathan Clark Baird

Pro

1

Answered . Present proof of registration and a letter from your insurance co.