In court Monday, how should I plead?

Louisville, KY |

About a year ago I purchased a car. Due to a layoff I didnt have the funds to transfer and register it into my name. I was pulled over 5/30/14 and when the officer ran the plate the small decal came up from another vehicle. The officer insisted I had stolen it and I was arrested. It took every penny to register insure and get my car out of the in pound lot, so I cant afford a lawyer. Please help, Im scared to death and dont know what I should do

If you cannot afford an attorney request that a public defender be appointed. The public defender will most likely enter a "not guilty" plea on your behalf at the initial arraignment. At arraignment, you should receive another court date. You are entitled to all discovery the Commonwealth has against you and I suggest you discuss this information including all details surrounding your case with your attorney. You are innocent until proven guilty and the Commonwealth must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Stay in contact with your public defender and do not miss any court dates. I wish you the best of luck.

At arraignment you should ask for the Judge to appoint you a Public Defender. Nothing will happen on the first Court date. If you qualify, then you will meet with your Public Defender before your next Court appearance.

By answering questions in this forum, Attorney Anna Aleksander does not undertake to represent you in your legal matter, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Answers are provided for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as advice of counsel. Speak with a lawyer who practices in this area to determine the best course of action for you and your case.

Go to court, plead NOT GUILTY and ask the court to appoint you a Public Defender if you are eligible. Hire and attorney or get one appointed, do not go this alone without legal counsel.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Present proof of registration and a letter from your insurance co.