In county jail on hold for for ice

Asked almost 5 years ago - New Philadelphia, OH

i have a friend that is in the county jail right now that is from honduras, and is on hold for ice, what his mom told me he had been deported before, will ice give him the opportunity to hire a lawyer before getting deported or there is possibilities at all, and how long does it usually take before ice can pick them up in jail, and before they get sent back to their country.

Additional information

can we hire a lawyer to try and get him out of the county jail, or there is no way since he has a hold on ice? and how long does it ususally take before ice can pick somebody up from a county jail? can a lawyer still try and do something about it even if he is under ice's detention??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The government does not provide legal counsel for people in removal proceedings. He does have the opportunity to hire counsel. This would be an especially prudent move if he's been previously deported.

    Many times ICE will attempt to "reinstate" the prior order of removal. This means no immigration court and summary removal. ICE won't take too long, usually a week or two, to get this process complete.

  2. Scott D. Pollock

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . An experienced immigration lawyer should review his situation as soon as possible. A prior deportation order can be reinstated and a previously deported noncitizen may be deported without being given a new hearing. But there are cases in which this does not happen. Whether your friend has any relief available from deportation at this time will depend on a variety of factors, so have the family consult with a good immigration lawyer.

    Scott D. Pollock
    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 444-1940
    fax: (312) 444-1950

    Please visit our renovated website at, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features.

  3. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Well, unfortunately they will not provide him a lawyer for immigration. You might want to hire one familiar with deportation and criminal issues asap.

    Good Luck
    Shah Peerally
    Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
    The Law Firm Deals in Immigration law, Bankruptcy & Debt Relief

    Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act based solely on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.

Related Topics

Immigration court

Immigration court is a division of the US Department of Justice that oversees and decides cases involving immigrants facing deportation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,046 answers this week

3,317 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,046 answers this week

3,317 attorneys answering