In colorado got a DUI w restitution. Restitution has now gone to a collection agency.does that have to be paid to get my license

Denver, CO |

When I got DUI I didnt have a co license I had a fl license

1. Depends, call DMV to see if there is any outstanding holds to be sure.

I am licensed attorney who focuses on Serious DUI Cases such a 2nd DUIs, 3rd DUIs, 4th DUIs, and Felony DUIs and DMV hearings. I also have much experience handling car accident cases. Although the information I provide is helpful, it is not legal advice. Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers. Do NOT include any direct solicitations or contact information.

2. Generally restitution will not prohibit you from getting your license in CO especially if the restitution is for the chemical test. You should have been able to get your license prior to the restitution going to collections unless you are considered a habitual traffic offender. Call DMV an verify there are no holds on your license. You will have to go through the process to clear your license in CO even if you do not plan of obtaining a CO license. This will release any holds that other states will honor.

3. Because you were driving with a FL license at the time you got the DUI, you will have to comply with FL laws. You should hire a FL attorney to help you with this matter. In most states, if you are sued because of a driving incident, and a judgement is entered against you, your license will become suspended if the winner of the judgement notifies the DMV that you have not paid the lawsuit amount. You may not be able to get your license back unless and until you pay restitution or make arrangements to pay. Every state has unique driver's license rules and regulations. Get a FL lawyer.

I am an attorney. I am not your attorney unless you have signed a written contract with me and given me money. This is information for educational purposes only, and no attorney-client privilege exists.