In Colorado can you obtain a bow hunting licence with a back ground of Domestic violence-harassment-misdemeanor

Canon City, CO |
Filed under: Domestic violence

Hunting licence (Bow only) DV charge 1997

1. That is a very interesting question and not one that I regularly see. Understand that the prohibition against firearm possession for a domestic violence charge relates to federal law and not CO state law. I was a judge in Cortez for several years and, to my knowledge, people who had DV convictions in front of me still obtained bow hunting licenses to hunt without a problem. However, I will also defer to some of my colleagues who are either hunters or who represent hunters on a more frequent basis.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Thus far, the only statutorily specific weapon possession prohibition affecting anyone convicted of "a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence" is a firearm. (Lautenberg Amendment, 1996) (arguably a bill of attainder and ex post facto law as applied to any convictions before the date of enactment - but that's another story). Generally, again, thus far, the issuance of a hunting license is not dependent upon a person's eligibility (or not) to possess a firearm or any other hunting tool. So, at this time, the answer is probably "yes."

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation with Mr. Bryans, call The Bryans Law Office at (303) 832-2930.