Skip to main content

In Colorado: Will I have to ever pay alimony to 'missing/ hiding' spouse?

Colorado Springs, CO |

Was with husband for about 60 days. Need to divorce missing spouse who I have an RO against. No contact in over 2 years with him. Cannot find him to serve him. My guess is that he is growing/ dealing marijuana in California and living off the money, etc. Would I have to pay spousal support to him at this point since I am the only documented source of income?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not unless he were to answer your divorce petition and seek an order for spousal support.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC by phone or email. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Mr. Harkes is correct. You have to ask in order to get. If he does not file a counter petition, no he cannot get an award.


If they do not request alimony/maintenance at the time of the divorce, then the issue of maintenance is forever waived as my colleagues have noticed.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer