In Colorado, I have a misdemeanor conviction for criminal mischief, with a domestic violence attached. Can I own a firearm?

Arvada, CO |

I am going to be done with my probation sentence in a couple of months, and my probation officer told me today, that there was a way to appeal to someone (she didn't know who), to have my gun rights restored. Does anyone know anything about this, or how it works?

As Mr. Solomon indicated you are prohibited from owning or possessing a gun. This is a federal statute, not a state statute. Thus, even if you were able to restore your gun rights in Colorado, you would still be a prohibited person under federal law.

2. No, you cannot possess a firearm or ammunition.

18 USC 922(g)(9) prohibits a person from possessing these things after being convicted of a misdemeanor crime involving domestic violence.

If this was a straight forward conviction, The only remedy I know for you is to have the conviction vacated or expunged, both of which are near impossible in Colorado.

If this was a deferred judgment, you have hope: once dismissed, the case would to be considered a conviction.

You can reach Mark Solomon at (720) 722-2050 for clarifications to any answers here. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mark Solomon Criminal Defense Attorney Solomon Law, P.C. 2600 S. Parker Rd, Suite 3-134, Aurora, CO 80014 (720) 722-2050 http://www.solomonesq.com/

3. I agree with Mr. Solomon. I think he meant to write that if it were a deferred judgment, then there would not be a conviction.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation with Mr. Bryans, call The Bryans Law Office at (303) 832-2930.

4. I agree with all of my colleagues -- you are out of luck at this point unless you can somehow convince a prosecutor in the jurisdiction of conviction that they should re-open your case to let your plea change -- that is highly unlikely but I would say impossible unless you get an attorney to help you with that process.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.