In Colorado, I have a misdemeanor conviction for criminal mischief, with a domestic violence attached. Can I own a firearm?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Arvada, CO

I am going to be done with my probation sentence in a couple of months, and my probation officer told me today, that there was a way to appeal to someone (she didn't know who), to have my gun rights restored. Does anyone know anything about this, or how it works?

1. Laurie Ann Schmidt

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . As Mr. Solomon indicated you are prohibited from owning or possessing a gun. This is a federal statute, not a state statute. Thus, even if you were able to restore your gun rights in Colorado, you would still be a prohibited person under federal law.

2. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Solomon. I think he meant to write that if it were a deferred judgment, then there would not be a conviction.

3. Mark S. Solomon

1

Answered . No, you cannot possess a firearm or ammunition.

18 USC 922(g)(9) prohibits a person from possessing these things after being convicted of a misdemeanor crime involving domestic violence.

If this was a straight forward conviction, The only remedy I know for you is to have the conviction vacated or expunged, both of which are near impossible in Colorado.

If this was a deferred judgment, you have hope: once dismissed, the case would to be considered a conviction.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . I agree with all of my colleagues -- you are out of luck at this point unless you can somehow convince a prosecutor in the jurisdiction of conviction that they should re-open your case to let your plea change -- that is highly unlikely but I would say impossible unless you get an attorney to help you with that process.