In Colorado, can I collect unemployment and Social Security.??

Asked almost 4 years ago - Littleton, CO

I am currently collecting unemployment and can now collect Social Security, of course, at a reduced amount because i am not at full retirement age. . How will this affect my unemployment status??. The unemployment, alone, is just not enough to get us through these tough times. I need to find a job but right now, no luck.

1. Les Gilbertson

Answered . I assume that you are talking about Social Security Disability. The main problem is that to get unemployment you must tell them that you are able to work. On the other hand you have to tell Social Security that you cannot work to get social security. The Judges I think do not look favorable on this situation.

2. Robert C. Alston

Answered . In reviewing your question, it appears that you are taking early retirement, not social security disabliilty as assumed in the other answer. This is a critical fact in answering your question.

In general, you are entitled to Social Security Retirement benefits once you attain retirement age or at early retirement (age 62, at a reduced amount which appears to be the situation here). Unemployment benefits are handled by each individual state and are based on your past work; why you no longer work, and usually requires an active job search certifying you are ready, willing and able to work. Consequently as far as Social Security is concerned, you can received both at the same time. However, since unemployment rules vary from state to state you would need to contact a Colorado attorney regarding these benefits. In addition, there may be tax consequences for your Social Security Retirement benefits if you receive unemployment as well. However, I am not a tax attorney and this answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law regarding your question.