In Chicago IL can I get unemployment if offered a position paying 23,000 less. I decided not to take the position.

Chicago, IL |

My ED decided to restructure and create (Supportive service Director)a new position doing the same things that I was doing as(Program Director) he claimed I did not have enough experience or credentials (10 years experience and a B.A) i have been with this company 7 years and 2 years in the current position. I asked for new job description he could not find it. I was then offered a position doing something different (Case Manager) was offered a demotion paying $23,000 less than my salary and I had to the end of day to take the offer. I had just returned to work from a vacation and this is what I was hit with. I asked the employer if I didn't take offer would I be eligible for unemployment he said that he would not contest it he lied. Do I qualify for unemployment due to a good cause.

1. Under the Illinois Unemployment Insurance Act, a person may be disqualified from unemployment insurance benefits due to voluntary leaving without good cause attributable to the employer. However, a material adverse change in the terms and conditions of the employment may constitute good cause attributable to the employer.

This answer is solely for general informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and shall not be relied upon by any person. Receipt or review of this answer shall not establish any attorney-client relationship.

2. Mr. Glickman is correct. If it is a substantial reduction in your salary, you may be eligible for benefits. Unfortunately, the fact that your employer lied is of no consequence.

Best of luck to you.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied on as legal advice. You should be aware that no attorney-client relationship is established through this answer and none will be established without a personal consultation and the signing of an engagement agreement.