Skip to main content

In California if at the time of divorce there is debt tax to IRS, are both liable? Ex filed innocent spouse and IRS granted it

Concord, CA |

Our MSA only says to split assets and debts not specific at all. Just want to know if I can take him to court to make him pay his half for not abiding by MSA

Attorney Answers 2


Yes, you can. While the IRS may allow him to avoid having to pay under innocent spouse relief, that does not change the state court's order in the MSA. If the agreement when the decree was entered was that the parties divide the debts then you may prevail so long as you can establish that the tax debt is joint. However the innocent spouse designation will likely be used by his attorney as a defense. So you'll have to prove the point to prevail. You'll definitely want to consult with an attorney and get some competent representation on this one.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Yes, I agree. You should understand that the IRS is not required to follow the MSA, although they are supposed to give due consideration. A contempt charge could possibly be filed in the family court of jurisdiction for violation of the MSA.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics