Skip to main content

In California how long do you have to be unemployed to receive unemployment?

Milpitas, CA |

I quit my job in July for another job but the new job fell through so I filled for unemployment and was denied so I need to see how long to wait to re apply.

Attorney Answers 2


If you were denied because you quit your job, you will not be eligible until to become employed again and lose your job through no fault of your own. Simply waiting does not make you eligible. Your other option is to appeal the denial if you can show you quit for good cause.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Mr. Kirschbaum is correct. If you are unemployed because you quit the last job you worked then you will not be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits until you again work for a qualified employer. In the mean time you will have to look for other public benefits to survive. Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics