Skip to main content

In California are my in person secretly recorded conversations between my Ex and I admissible in court?

Murrieta, CA |
Filed under: Privacy law Family law

I record the contact I have with my ex when I go to her home to pick up and return my daughter per the visitation agreement we have in place. I do this to protect myself against false allegations. I am about to return to court and I do not want to disclose the recordings to the judge if they are illegal to have.

Attorney Answers 3


It is a crime to record conversations without the other side's consent. Do not disclose this information . Contact your attorney how it can be used.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Gerald is 200% correct, be careful or you will be boiled in oil.l

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


It is illegal to record confidential communications without the consent of the other party. Such recorded communications are generally not admissible.

Mark as helpful

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics