In California, can the DA file a case against someone who is over 21 in juvenile court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

Once a juvenile turns 21 the juvenile court losses jurisdiction. But what if the defendant isn't charged at all until after he is 21? And if the juvenile court doesn't have jurisdiction does the case go away or can the DA bring it in regular court?

Additional information

The defendant is being charged with 459 burglary.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Once you turn 18 the Sacramento DA generally does not file in juvenile court. Once you turn 18, the DA will usually files in adult court. Juvenile court is for minors, although a juvenile can be subject to juvenile court supervision until age 25. If the crime occurred when the individual was under age 18, I'm not sure what the DA's office would do.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If a juvenile committed a crime while he was under 18 and, lets say, a warrant went out for failing to appear. Three plus years pass and he is over 21 today, he can still be arrested on the case and brought before a juvenile judge. The court still has jurisdiction over him; however, usually these cases are negotiated and settled because they cannot offer any services to him and they would not want to offer him services. If he had a signficant past and this was a 707 case where he could be filed on as an adult, the DA would do so. These cases rarely occur, but I have seen it happen now and then.

    For a complete answer to a Criminal based questions you should consult a lawyer with all the facts concerning what... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Civil rights of defendants in criminal cases

Civil rights in criminal cases include the protections provided by the Bill of Rights as well as other rights established by court precedents.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,072 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,072 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering