In California, Can my attorney just drop me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oxnard, CA

My attorney wants me to settle for a ridiculously low amount, like a penny to the dollar. He says that if I don't settle, he is going to withdrawl

1. Scott Richard Kaufman

Pro

8

Answered . Atty needs you to consent OR has to take a motion, which are liberally granted UNLESS you are dangerously close to trial.

2. Michael Loren Renberg

6

Answered . If you don't agree to the attorney withdrawing from the case he/she will will likely file a motion to withdrawal which will be granted by the court unless you can show actual prejudice that will be caused by the withdrawal.

3. Christian Frederick Paul

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Kaufman and Mr. Renberg. The lawyer may quit just as you may fire him, except under certain circumstances. You might want to find out why the attorney thinks your case is no longer worth anything--maybe he's right, and you need to cut bait. At the same time, you should seek a second opinion, or a third, and see if you can find another attorney who thinks he or she can do better than a penny on the dollar. If you let your current attorney know that you will sub him out in favor of another attorney as soon as you can find one, he'll probably give you some time and not try to withdraw first. Good luck.

4. Albert Lee Crosner

2

Answered . Although I understand how the other attorneys might have read your question, I read it slightly different. Has a lawsuit been filed? I cannot tell from your wording.

5. Panda Lynn Kroll

1

Answered . There are many Oxnard attorneys including my firm that would be happy to give you a second opinion about the value of your case. You will need to know what if any amount of "lien" your attorney has on fees thus far.