In California, can I record a police officer during a traffic stop without his knowlege?

Irvine, CA |

In California, can I record a police officer during a traffic stop without his knowlege? I would imagine that the point at issue is whether or not he has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

There is no definitive California case on this issue, but the police can record you during a traffic stop so I doubt it is illegal for you to record them.

It appears you have already read California Penal Code §632, which makes it illegal to record a confidential conversation without the consent of all parties. There are cases saying the police can tape your conversations when you're handcuffed in the back of a police car, so I don't see how any police officer could reasonably think you were having a confidential conversation during a traffic stop,

With that said: I handled a case involving this issue several years ago. The client was convicted of battery on a police officer for attempting to stop him from confiscating a tape recorder under the belief that it was illegal for someone to record him during a traffic stop. The case was eventually thrown out on appeal, but the client spent many thousands of dollars and went through a couple of years of stress before it was over.

The state of Washington has a similar privacy statute and the state supreme court has ruled it is not illegal for a motorist to record a police officer during a traffic stop. See Devenpeck v. Alford (2004) 543 U.S. 146, the US Supreme Court case dealing with this motorist's lawsuit against the officers.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets