In California, can I, as a tenant, sue my landlord in Unlawful Detainer court? Also, can I counter claim OR sue him for damages?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Fairfield, CA

My landlord is bringing me to court for an unlawful detainer action. I have already won 2 previous U.D. actions brought against me by him. My apt. was deemed uninhabitable and I was ordered to vacate immediately therefore I am entitled to relocation benefits. Also, I need to sue him fir "special damages" due to the fact that he repeatedly demanded rent on an uninhabitable property. I tried to bring him to small claims to collect relocation monies but my case was dismissed because the judge said I should have brought my claims up in U.D. court....HOWEVER....both U.D. judges informed me tgat in an U.D. action, the tenant can ONLY defend the eviction, NOT counter claim ir ask for damages. PLEASE someone give me the correct info, I'm absolutely disheveled over this. Thank you so much =]

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No. An unlawful detainer is a summary proceeding. As such, an unlawful detainer proceeding is given legal precedence over all other civil actions so that it can be quickly heard and determined. (Code of Civil Procedure ยง1179a.)

    A cross-complaint is not permitted in an unlawful detainer lawsuit. A defendant has no right to file a cross-complaint or counterclaim because possession is the only issue being litigated in an unlawful detainer action. (Vella v. Hudgins (1977) 20 Cal.3d 251, 255.)

    You must file a civil lawsuit for damages. The civil lawsuit may be filed as a small claims action, or a limited jurisdiction superior court action, or an unlimited jurisdiction superior court action.

    Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in... more
  2. Kevin Samuel Sullivan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . you cannot bring a counter claim in a UD proceeding. You would need to bring a separate lawsuit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,934 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,934 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering