In California, can a first cousin relationship be used as grounds for obtaining full custody?

Temecula, CA |

In the state of California, when two parents are in Family Court for custody of their child, can one parent use the other parent's relationship with their first cousin as grounds for obtaining full custody of the child? The first cousin couple are not married, but they would like to get married.

This is an issue of genetics more than custody. I think in todays court climate this would not be looked upon favorably by the court as an argument in favor or against child custody and would probably harm the party raising the issue, especially if the couple is past child bearing age or does not want any additional children.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

It will have no effect. First cousins can marry legally in California.