Skip to main content

In California , the CC 98 regarding a declaration in lieu that the witness must be available within 20 days for service and

Los Angeles, CA |

live within 150 miles . The credit card company witness lives in Virgina and she was not personally present at the location in Los Angeles she designated for service of a subpoena . Instead , the legal service the credit card company was using accepted service . Is this within the rules of CC 98 ? Can I object to the declaration on this basis especially if she doesn't show up ?

Attorney Answers 3


If the declaration states that a certain legal service or person or law firm will accept service of the civil trial subpoena, you cannot object on this basis. Section 98 declarations in lieu typically have such statements.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


Witness doesnt have to be there as long as they are authorized to accept service on her behalf. If you served them with the subpena, and she doesnt show up, then they cant use the declaration.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


i agree with the other attorneys responses.

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics