In CA can i file domestic partnership, not same sex couple? Can i Buy a home in just my name if i do file domestic partnership

Asked about 5 years ago - Sacramento, CA

My boyfriend needs insurance, we have been together for 10 years, and are just waiting for more money for a big wedding, for now though he needs coverage. Problem is- he has tremendous debt and i dont, i am trying to buy a home too. I dont want his debt to transfer over to me. How should we go about this?

1. Tavy Alice Dumont

Answered . California Domestic Partnership is restricted to same-sex couples, and heterosexual couples where at least one person is over age 62. If one of you is over 62 and you are interested in investigating a domestic partnership, you should know that domestic partners are exposed to liability for each other's debts in certain circumstances. This is a complicated area of law; you should consult an attorney about the particular facts of your case before proceeding.