In CA can I be fired from a retail outlet for not opening enough credit cards for customers?

Mountain View, CA |

I am regularly harassed about the amount of credit cards I open for customers. I am told that this is "part of my job," and "required." I have no background in finance and yet am expected to push consumers into making big financial decisions.

You are no doubt an at will employee. As an at will employee your employer can place any lawful requirements on your job and it can terminate you for not attaining those requirement, or even for no reason at all, as along as the reason for your discipline or termination is not because you are part of a protected class of people.

There is no question in my mind that you can be terminated for not opening enough credit cards. If that is a problem for you, my advice is to start looking right away for another job.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

2. In CA you can be fired "if they feel like it" unless it's for an improper or unlawful reason like discrimination. The only real job security would be if you have an employment contract and did not breach it. Good luck with it.

3. Your question should be under employment law not credit card fraud. You can be fired for no reason, or job performance since Califonriia is an "at will" employment state.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

4. Poor or unsatisfactory job performance is grounds for termination of employment in California, provided that you are an "at-will" employee. If you are in retail sales, you are likely an at-will employee. If you have an employment contract that addresses "cause" for termination, the contract will govern whether you are able to be terminated for poor or unsatisfactory performance.

To schedule an appointment for an attorney-client privileged consultation, contact me at 530-231-4949. This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. The exchange of communications through Avvo.com and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office. Thank you.