In CA are LLCs able to be trustees for family trust?

Asked 9 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

Any limits or prohibitions on LLC being one of the trustees in an asset protection trust?

1. Matthew Mir Shafae

3

Answered . In general, there is nothing to my knowledge that prohibits an LLC from acting as trustee. However, I question the wisdom behind doing that. You should probably consult an attorney before designating an LLC as trustee of your family trust.

2. Robert Lewis Shepard

2

Answered . An LLC may serve as trustee, but the most important aspect of nominating a trustee is someone that you trust. Most LLC's are managed by one or a few individuals, so why the desire to name an LLC and not those individual managers directly? The potential consequences far outweigh any benefit this offers. Serving as trustee is a personal relationship, it is much better handled by a natural person.

3. Ian A. Scharg

Pro

1

Answered . Consult an attorney who is experienced in forming asset protection trusts. It is highly complicated and you do not want any adverse tax consequences.